domingo, febrero 18, 2007

Three Poems by Li Po (李白) in New English Translations

Inscribed At Summit Temple

Night, I stay at Summit Temple
I lift my hand and touch the stars
I dare not raise my voice
For fear of disturbing the occupants of heaven

題峰頂寺

夜宿峰頂寺
舉手捫星辰
不敢高聲語
恐驚天上人


Before Wine

Wine
In gold cups
A beauty from Wu, 15, on a dwarf horse
Her lashes painted indigo, her boots of red brocade
She stumbles on the words, but sings coquettishly
At the banquet, drunk, she presses against me --
"Behind the curtain of nenuphar, I could never resist you"

對酒

葡萄酒
金叵羅
吳姬十五細馬馱
青黛畫眉紅錦靴
道字不正嬌唱歌
玳瑁筵中盃中醉
芙蓉帳裏奈君何


Autumn, Leaving Qingmen


Frost falls on Qingmen, into the river trees empty themselves
Plain cloth sails in autumn wind
Fine sliced perch not journey's end
For my love of famous mountains I go to the land of Shan

秋下荊門


霜落型門江樹空
布帆無恙掛秋風
此行不為鱸魚膾
自愛名山入剡中


Translated by Andrew Haley


Li Po (李白) the Banished Immortal, celebrated Tang Dynasty poet, was born in 701 in present day Kyrgyzstan to Chinese exiles. He achieved great acclaim before his death, despite a life of itinerant wandering. One of the Eight Immortals of Wine, he was a legendary drinker and is said to have drowned drunk in the Yangtze trying to embrace the reflection of the moon. He was returning to his childhood home in Sichuan Province after a thirty-five year absence. He was 61.

No hay comentarios.: