martes, enero 16, 2007

Poetry by Danila Davydov in New English and Spanish Translations


A Short Epistle for Ulrike Meinhof


I don’t know why I am writing you

I don’t know much about you

I read your book and some other stuff here and there

I don’t know

It seems to me that your problem is analogous to mine

It seems to me that you weren’t really a “terrorist”

This word became a favorite of many

Long after your death

I live in Moscow and don’t know German

Drink and when I do

It becomes impossible to think over the details

So here I am drinking

Not wearing any pants

Just sitting, drinking, staring at the television

I’d rather you not see what they are showing

Nothing decent is ever on

And it isn’t because the world has become worse

Or because the television is a piece of shit

But simply

Because death takes its toll everywhere

I am a quiet person by nature

I don’t like cruelty

But when they torture children, old men, dogs, cats

I also want to kill

I am a quiet guy from the intelligentsia

I strain to imagine how it is possible to hurt another

But I know I could get into a brawl or kill someone

And this seems wrong

Ulrike! Tell me that it’s all in the past

Tell me: everything’s fine, that I shouldn’t over dramatize

But you don’t speak a word a word a word

Because you are not here


Translated by Peter Golub



Una Breve Epístola Para Ulrike Meinhof


No sé porque te escribo

No sé mucho de ti

Leí tu libro y otras cosas por aquí por allá

No sé

A mi me parece que tu problema es análogo al mió

A mi me parece que realmente no eres terrorista

Esta palabra se hizo favorita de muchos

Mucho después de tu muerte

Vivo en Moscú y no sé hablar alemán

Tomo y cuando lo hago

Se me hace imposible pensar en los detalles

Pues aquí estoy tomando

Sin llevar pantalones

Solo sentado, tomando, mirando la televisión

Preferiría que no vieras lo que se muestra

Jamás se ve nada decente por televisión

Y no es porque el mundo se hizo peor

Ni porque la televisión es una mierda

Sino simplemente

Porque la muerte se cobra por todos lados

Soy una persona callada por naturaleza

No me gusta la crueldad

Pero cuando torturan a niños, viejos, perros, gatos

Yo también quiero matar

Soy un hombre tranquilo de la inteligentzia

Me cuesta imaginar como es posible lastimar a otro

Pero yo sé que podría pelear o matar a alguien

Y eso me parece mal

Ulrike! Díme que todo está en el pasado

Díme: todo bien, que no debo exagerar

Pero no hablas ni una palabra ni una palabra ni una palabra

Porque no estás


Traducido por Andrew Haley


Danila Davydov (b. 1977) received his candidate of science degree in philology from Institute of Literature, Moscow. He is the author of dozens of articles on Russian poetry and literature. He was the editor of Brother's Cradle: The Debut Anthology of Poetry and a contributing editor to Nine Measurements: An Anthology of New Russian Poetry.


The transcript of Peter Golub’s interview with Davydov is available at Foundation Pit.

No hay comentarios.: